CANCER: with over 590,000 deaths per year, it is the second leading cause of death in the United States behind heart disease. Roughly 1.7 million people in the United States are currently diagnosed with invasive cancer.
To put it in perspective, the number of invasive cancer cases in the U.S. is larger than the population of Dallas, Texas – the 9th largest city in the country.
What causes cancer? Why do so many people get cancer? Are cancer rates increasing? Is there a cure for cancer? Is cancer preventable? Although answers are not black and white by any means, there is data to support distinct connections to cancer. – Obesity is one of the most profound connections.
If you would like to dive into the startling statistics, start here:
Obesity / Cancer Connection Facts and Numbers – Summary
- In the U.S. An estimated 1, 688,780 people were diagnosed with cancer in 2017-over half of all new patients diagnosed with cancer are overweight or obese.
- Obese women are 50% more likely to develop cancer than women of normal weight / BMI.
- Research shows that the United States has the world’s highest rates of cancer attributable to overweight / obesity for the following types: colorectal, pancreatic and post menopausal breast cancer.
- In some cancer cases such as gallbladder and esophageal, obesity is directly linked with over 50% of cases.
- There is strong supporting evidence that directly connects obesity and cancer of the liver, cervix, myeloma and Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
What to do:
Although we might not be able to 100% control whether we face cancer in our lifetime, you can eliminate probability. There is overwhelming evidence that reflects losing excess weight significantly reduces your chances of cancer. There are many weight loss options.
Weight Loss Specialists of North Texas and Dr. Ayoola specialize in weight loss techniques that can be customized to your lifestyle, goals and needs. Nutrition and Exercise plans, weight loss medication, non-surgical gastric balloons and a wide array of weight loss surgeries like the Gastric Sleeve and Duodenal Switch are some of the options we provide.
The majority of our weight loss options are also covered by insurance.