It can be especially hard to lose weight in a city like Dallas where there is a statistically larger proportion of the population overweight than the national average. Even in these circumstances a correct strategy can help you to achieve your weight loss goals. Follow these seven helpful tips and you will be off to a great start on your weight loss journey.
- Surround yourself by supportive people. Negativity can really discourage you in your weight loss endeavors. If you are considering bariatric surgery try talking more with people who support and encourage your decision, it is not helpful to have naysayers telling you that your efforts are pointless.
- Set small and achievable goals. Instead of setting an unformulated goal of “losing weight,” or too hefty of a goal like 50 or even 100 pounds, try losing 5 or 10 pounds this month. Start simple, meet your goal, and then set another!
- Keep your kitchen stocked with healthy foods. You are more likely to make healthy eating choices when it is easy to snack on fresh fruits and vegetables or whole grain bread.
- Find ways to reward yourself when you achieve goals that do not involve eating. For instance, if you have achieved the weight goal that you and your doctor agreed on for six months after weight loss surgery reward yourself with a day at the spa or a massage!
- Identify and avoid environments that make it difficult stick to your weight loss goals. If you find yourself going for the candy machine every day at lunch try avoiding the break room to keep it out of sight.
- You are only human, so do not be too hard on yourself if you mess up. If you have a piece of cake, don’t condemn yourself. Instead of thinking that one piece of cake means your entire weight loss plan is gone, have a small piece and remain focused.
- Your desire to lose weight must come from you. If you are losing weight to please someone else you will not be as successful as if the desire came from you.